Thursday, July 3, 2014

Other Things I Read

I love to read books, but I also read other things too...like community bulletin boards!

1. My favorite blog right now is The Simple Dollar. Trent writes posts about managing your money, living a frugal lifestyle, and making sure you invest in what and who is important to you. My friend, Grace, introduced me to The Simple Dollar when we were talking about making homemade laundry detergent. I now make my own laundry detergent (it's so easy!), and I faithfully read The Simple Dollar.

2. The local newspaper. When friends find out that we get the paper delivered, they are confused and ask, "Like the real newspaper?" Yes, although the real newspaper these days is not at all like the newspaper of my youth. Sigh. Ah well. Hearing the loud thump of the Sunday newspaper landing on my porch in the early hours and then dozing back to sleep is one of the small joys in life. I can fall asleep again knowing that there is a Sunday paper waiting to be read just outside the door. There is talk in my house about upgrading to The New York Times, but we'll see. We do like those Sunday funnies.




3. Real Simple magazine. I used to subscribe to a bunch of magazines but then I realized that The Economist stressed me out and that the Atlantic Monthly stressed Boomer out. So now I've whittled it down to just Real Simple. I am delighted when I find it in the mailbox, not stressed out like when I would see The Economist. However, Boomer is talking about subscribing to The Economist again...so we'll see.

No comments: