Tuesday, August 5, 2014

10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works- A True Story by Dan Harris

In our house, we get our news from the print newspaper, NPR, and World News with Diane Sawyer. David Muir is taking over anchoring World News starting in September, and this was big news in our house! David Muir seems like a brother to me. Lately, he's been anchoring the news more, so he's in our living room almost every night, and I trust him. When I told Boomer that I think of David like a brother, he said, "You don't know what it's like to have a brother." No, I don't. But I imagine it's like being friends with David Muir!



Anyway, we watch ABC and Dan Harris is one of the reporters. (Sorry, Dan, to start this post out talking about David Muir.) I like Dan and his quirkiness. He comes across as a relatable guy.

His recent book is about his search for help after suffering from an on-air panic attack. He tried drugs (didn't work that well) and ended up finding meditation. In his book, he writes about his search for peace, his interviews with meditation teachers, and his own experience in making friends with the noise and criticism in his mind. He backs it all up with scientific evidence about how meditation actually produces changes in the brain.

I really liked the behind-the-scenes look at the news reporting at ABC especially since all of the reporters are household names...in my house.

No comments: