Monday, March 23, 2015

We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo

Darling is a ten-year-old girl growing up in Zimbabwe. She runs around with her friends playing games and stealing guavas from the rich peoples' houses. But life is not all fun and play. I have to warn you that there are some gritty scenes in this book.

Darling has an aunt in America though, and Darling moves to Michigan where she makes new friends, finds an abundance of food, and deals with missing home and her family while at the same time enjoying the comforts of her new life.

This isn't a book that I would normally pick up and read on my own, but it is being highlighted at my local library right now, so I picked it up. It was challenging to read only because of the gritty content. The writing style was quite neat.

Recommended if you've never read anything about Zimbabwe, and if you're interested in reading about an immigrant experience.

No comments: